There are two camps when it comes to eggnog. You either like it or you can’t stand the taste. Now this recipe may not change your mind if you are in latter camp but if are game enough to give it a try it may nudge you a little. It’s not overly sweet and the warm spices truly give it that comforting feel.print menu
3 cups whole milk
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 1/2 tsp nutmeg grated
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
6 whole cloves
6 whole allspice berries
1/2 oz. candied ginger
4 whole eggs
4 egg yolks
1/4 cup demerara sugar
4 tbsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup honey
1/2 tsp salt
1 probe thermometer
1. Add the whole cloves and whole allspice berries to a cold 9″ cast iron skillet or 9″ sauté. Turn the burner on to low and toast the spices.
2. In a medium saucepan add the milk, heavy cream, ground cinnamon, grated nutmeg and candied ginger and let steep over medium low heat.
3. Once the cloves and allspice berries become fragrant add them to milk/heavy cream mixture and continue to steep.
4. Combine the whole eggs and egg yolks into a medium mixing bowl. Using a balloon whisk whip the eggs until they become light in color and volume slightly increases.
5. Add the sugar to the whipped eggs and whip until fully incorporated.
6. Once the cream/milk/spice mixture reaches 160° remove form the heat and strain into a second medium saucepan.
7. Add the vanilla extract, honey & salt to the cream/milk/spice mixture and keep over medium low heat.
8. Temper the egg mixture by slowly whisking the cream/milk/spice mixture into the egg mixture with a 2oz ladle.
9. Once approximately 3/4 of the cream/milk/spice mixture is whipped in the egg mixture pour the combined mixture back in to the saucepan and medium low heat bring it up to 160° while gently whipping the mixture to evenly distribute the heat.
10. When the eggnog reaches 160° remove it from the heat and give it one final strain through a fine mesh strainer.
11. Transfer to a non-reactive container with a tight lid and refrigerate for 6 hours.
12. Serve with your favorite garnish.
13. If you would like to give a little extra kick you can add your favorite spirit (rum, bourbon, rye …)